Prohibited & restricted items
Due to customs and airline regulations, there are some items which are prohibited, and some which are restricted. Prohibited items cannot be shipped under any circumstance. Restricted items can be shipped, but additional approvals can sometimes take time, and add a day or more on to your delivery date. Make sure to check the list of PROHIBITED and RESTRICTED items before you shop.
Emirates Delivers does not allow the export of counterfeit items. This includes, but is not limited to, movies, DVD’s, software, clothing, handbags and purses, and sunglasses. Also, the transportation of counterfeited toy weapons, paint ball guns and “BB guns”, antique weapons, knives and swords, fake grenades, items that could be used as weapons is prohibited. Please do not send such merchandise to the Emirates Delivers facility. These items will be confiscated, forfeited from your account, and disposed of as required by applicable U.S. laws and regulations.
Emirates Delivers has a strict zero tolerance policy for illegal drugs. These products are prohibited and will be handed over to the authorities:
- •Controlled or illicit substances
- •Narcotics, cannabis/marijuana, and psychotropic drugs
- •Synthetic cannabis/herbal incense
The account of any Member who ships illegal drugs will be subject to termination.
Alcohol for consumption is a prohibited item. Alcohol, liquor and any foodstuff containing it or flavouring thereof will be prohibited for entry into the United Arab Emirates. Some alcohol products also can be restricted due to hazardous materials/dangerous goods transport regulations. Tobacco products including cigarettes, cigars & tobacco are restricted for import into the U.A.E. E-cigarettes are permitted. Please note that some e-cigarettes devices, pods, liquids and similar products may be treated as a tobacco product and prohibited for import into the U.A.E.
Please note that alcohol contained in perfumes, nail polish removers and floor cleaners, for example, may face some restrictions, but may not be prohibited.
Emirates Delivers does not allow currency or monetary instruments to be exported through our facility. These items will be returned to the original sender, when possible. They cannot be sent to an alternate U.S. address.
- •Cash (bank notes & coins)
- •Cheques (including traveler’s cheques)
- •Bank drafts
- •Bearer bonds and other monetary instruments
- •Credit cards
- •Gold, silver, or platinum bullion/bars
- •Rough diamonds
- •Loose diamonds or gems
- •Currency with historical value
- •Mother of Pearl items commonly found on watches, guitars, and jewellery items
- •Fossils, jewellery, stones or stoneware, marble or any stone derivative
- •Gold, diamond, silver & precious stones (jewellery exempt including watches)
- •Any collectible painting
- •Sculpture or other work of art
- •Antiques (original engravings, prints, lithographs in any material)
- •Forged and duplicate currency
Emirates Delivers does not accept professional medical equipment if a prescription or medical license is required for purchase. Many times, the item will state “RX Only” or “U.S. Law restricts the sale of this device for or on the order of a physician”.
Such items may include:
- •Dental devices & supplies (example: dental drills, cements, resins)
- •Veterinary devices & supplies (example: surgical equipment for animals)
- •Medical devices & supplies (example: syringes, surgical equipment)
Emirates Delivers does not export prescription (“RX”) medications of any kind; this includes Human Growth Hormones (HGH), prohormones, and stem cell derived medications (even if not RX). Emirates Delivers also does not export over-the-counter (OTC) medications. In addition, any OTC medications or dietary supplements must adhere to the U.S. Food & Drug Administration’s (FDA) labeling guidelines. Products may also be denied for export if found to be harmful to consumers or have consumer health warnings from governments.
OTC medications, dietary supplements & cosmetics are prohibited when they:
- •Are shipped to the U.S. from outside of the U.S. (does not apply to cosmetics)
- •Are not packaged and labeled in English
- •Are opened or not fully and properly packaged
- •Do not adhere to the FDA labeling guidelines
- •Contain an ingredient that is not approved by the FDA
Dietary Supplements are defined as:
- •Herbs or botanicals
- •Amino acids
- •Concentrates, metabolites, constituents, extracts, or a combination of any ingredient mentioned above
OTC Medications, dietary supplements & cosmetics may be restricted or prohibited by the United Arab Emirates; you are responsible for ensuring any such merchandise may be properly imported.
Please Note: You are strongly advised to ensure your orders originate from within the U.S. If a product is prohibited and it came from a Merchant outside the U.S., it will not be eligible for return and will be properly disposed.
Emirates Delivers does not accept electronics that require the use of an export license from either the U.S. Department of Commerce’s Bureau of Industry and Security (BIS) or the U.S. Department of State’s Directorate of Defense Trade Controls (DDTC). While many electronics are restricted or prohibited from exporting, many are not. Please contact your Emirates Delivers Account Manager if you are unsure of an item’s classification before having it sent to our facility.
- •Laser (as laser hair removals or laser pens)
- •Long-range/military walkie talkie
- •Satellite phones
- •Ruggedised computers
- •High-powered/commercial grade networking devices (e.g. servers & routers)
- •Military grade electronics of any kind
- •High-end encryption devices
- •High-end GPS, radar, and sonar devices
- •High-end communications devices/radios
- •Bitcoin miners/wallets/products
- •Rack mountable electronics
- •Spy cameras/recorders, surreptitious listening devices
- •Charging devices and power banks
TIP: To help expedite our determination for encrypted products, you can request the Merchant or Manufacturer provide their company “ERN” (Encryption Review Number) and product “CCATS” (Commodity Classification Number) along with the product’s “ECCN” (Export Classification Control Number) or contact your Emirates Delivers Account Manager for assistance prior to purchasing your product.
All of the following firearms, weaponry, and military/tactical items are prohibited and will not be exported by Emirates Delivers:
Weapon accessories, including:
- •Magazines/ammunition clips
- •Butt-stocks, forends
- •Gun barrels
- •Firing pins, hammers
- •Trigger housings
- •Upper or lower receivers
- •Pistol grips, ammo extenders
- •Weapon lasers
- •Holographic weapon sights
- •Red dot sights
- •Reticle sights
- •Rifle scopes
- •Thermal imaging/night vision scopes
- •Firearms, guns (whether real or replica)
- •Ammunition, bullets, rubber bullets, cartridges, gun powder, including jewellery made of or containing bullets/casings
- •Tactical/military helmets
- •Body armour/Kevlar (both soft and hard)
- •Gas masks and gas mask filters
- •Mace, pepper spray
- •Brass knuckles or similar articles
- •Stun guns, stun batons, electro shock weapons
- •Batons, saps, billy clubs
- •Metal handcuffs, plastic zip-tie restraints
- •Police or military uniforms
- •Cane swords, gravity knives, butterfly knives, automatic knives and hunting knives
- •Striking weapons
- •Military/tactical/police shields
- •Military training equipment
Please note that this list is not exhaustive.
Batteries spare/or loose, including lithium metal or lithium ion cells or batteries, for portable electronic devices cannot be shipped. Articles which have the primary purpose as a power source, e.g. power banks are considered as spare batteries.
Loose batteries included within product packages will be removed and discarded.
Items that include in-built batteries such as phones, tablets, laptops, personal electronic devices may be shipped (provided they are brand new/unused); however e-hover boards and e-scooters etc. are prohibited.
The United Arab Emirates prohibits the import of these items and as such Emirates Delivers will not export these kinds of items. You, as the importer of record into the United Arab Emirates, are responsible for ensuring that any and all items that you ask Emirates Delivers to export from the United States satisfy all laws and regulations of the United Arab Emirates.
- •Adult videos/movies
- •Foul or disgusting material, pornography and/or obscene material, any unsolicited indecent item or representation of any kind
- •Adult magazines/books
- •Sex toys
- •Other adult-themed products
- •Human and animal remains
Many products may be restricted or prohibited as hazardous materials for transportation (dangerous goods). Emirates Delivers has trained dangerous goods specialists who can classify, package, label, and help you export certain products that are classified as dangerous goods. in order to confirm whether a product is considered a dangerous good and whether Emirates Delivers is able to export the product on your behalf, we recommend you provide us with a Safety Data Sheet (SDS) (formally known as a Material Safety Data Sheet (MSDS).
Your Merchant should be able to provide you with this document. The following list is not exhaustive, and products may differ in classification depending on ingredients contained within the product. If an item is listed as prohibited, Emirates Delivers will not be able to export and may not be able to return the product domestically. If an item is listed as restricted, Emirates Delivers may be able to export the product depending on the classification and quantity.
- •Detonating cords, blasting caps, fuses, primers, igniters, Christmas crackers
- •Ammunition/cartridges, gun powder, fireworks, flares, firearms
- •Cap gun caps, model rocket engines
- •Fire extinguishers
- •Poisons & toxic substances
- •Biological & medical cultures/samples/specimens
- •Tear gas
- •Infectious substances
- •Laboratory chemicals, including corrosives, acids, lye, or other strong bases, etc.
- •Spy cameras/recorders, surreptitious listening devices
- •Certain oxidising agents
- •Chemical oxygen generators
- •Hydrogen peroxide
- •Potassium permanganate
- •Radioactive materials, including irradiating devices and certain smoke alarms
- •Lighters with fuel and matches
- •All non-flammable compressed gases including carbon dioxide, neon, helium, nitrogen etc.
- •All toxic compressed gases including chlorine, fluorine etc.
- •Battery fluid
- •Radiation polluted substances
- •Airbags, airbag inflators, seat belt pretensioners
- •Paint, varnish, stains, paint thinners
- •Acetone, nail polish, nail polish remover
- •Cologne, perfume
- •Aerosols, including hair spray, bug spray/insecticides, shaving creams
- •Compressed gases, including CO2 cartridges
- •Glues and adhesives (except for stationery)
- •Household chemicals, including:
- -Window/counter cleaners
- -Drain/oven cleaners
- -Alcohol-based hand sanitisers
- -Water/aquarium test kits
- •Large or strong magnets except within speakers
- •Lead acid batteries and alkaline batteries
- •Carbon or activated carbon
- •Agricultural chemicals, including pesticides and fungicides
Emirates Delivers will not export any of the following:
- •Lottery tickets
- •Slot machines or other gambling devices, including parts and accessories
This excludes playing cards.
Emirates Delivers will not export live or dead animals or insects.
The following items and other parts of these animals and reptiles, even when incorporated into a product, can be restricted and may require the submission of an export declaration to the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service. You may be required to provide the Genus, Species and Country of Origin for export classification purposes. Please contact Customer Service prior to sending any such items to your suite:
- •Animal antlers, bones, claws, hair, fur, skin, horn, ivory and teeth
- •Snake, ostrich, alligator, crocodile, lizard, stingray and other reptile/amphibian skins
- •Fish skin, shark teeth, shark cartilage supplements, and sturgeon/beluga caviar (fish eggs/roe)
- •Bird feathers and insects
- •Coral, shells, starfish, sand dollars and other marine life
- •Mother of pearl items commonly found on watches, guitars, and jewellery items
- •Triple-layered fishing nets
- •Pork products and pork flavouring
- •White wine vinegar
- •Wet food/meat products (without Halal certificate)
- •Meals ready-to-eat/MRES
- •Dry ice
- •Frozen food
- •Perishable food
- •Lab reagents
- •Biological substances or agents
- •Live bait
- •Hemp seeds/oils
- •Poppy seeds
- •Food items containing animal gelatine
- •Food items containing natural chicken/meat dried/flavouring (artificial flavouring permitted except pork and alcohol)
- •Wet food/meat products (with Halal certificate)
Certain "specially designed" items, parts, and accessories may be restricted for export. Please check with us prior to purchasing.
Categories that may contain restricted products include:
- •Items such as fishing equipment, seeds, plants, animal/pet supplements and animal food etc. is restricted and shall not be imported for personal use
- •Airplane parts and aviation equipment (example: gyroscopes, accelerometers)
- •Aerospace and propulsion items, including commercial drones and some highly sophisticated consumer drones
- •Telecommunications & information security equipment (containing high-end encryption and decryption)
- •High powered lasers and sensors
- •Materials processing items (example: sophisticated pressure valves and metal piping)
- •Goods intended to be imported from boycotted countries
- •Goods from Israeli origin or bearing Israeli trademarks or logos
- •Used, reconditioned and inlaid tyres
- •Printed publications, oil paintings, photographs, pictures, cards, books, magazines stony sculptures and mannequins which contradict Islamic teachings, decencies, or deliberately implying immorality or turmoil
- •Cooked and home-made foods
Additional information about many of the U.S. export regulations discussed in this document may be found at the following websites:
Export regulatory authorities:
Food and Drug Administration
Fish and Wildlife Service
Department of Treasury Office of Foreign Asset Control
Department of Energy
Nuclear Regulatory Commission
Department of Transportation
Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms
You can always view the most current compliance policy here.
This information provided is only exemplary. You, as the importer of record into the U.A.E. are responsible for ensuring that any and all items that you ask Emirates Delivers to export from the U.S.A. satisfy all laws and regulations.
This information contained on this website is only exemplary and isn't a substitute for consulting with the export regulations of the U.S.A. and the import regulations into the destination country. As stated in our terms and conditions, as the importer of record into the destination country, you're responsible for ensuring that any and all items that you export from the U.S.A. comply with all laws and regulations of the U.S.A. and the destination country.
Still not sure?
Our customer service team can help you find out if the products you want to purchase can be shipped to your country.